Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dating...



Milton and I dated or I guess you could more say hung out for quite some time before we announced we were officially boyfriend and girlfriend. The first time he called me his girlfriend was at my single ward's Christmas party. For those who are good at math (not my speciality) that was a whole 7 months since I asked him out on our first date. Needless, to say he is a very slow mover and I wasn't taking it very fast either.

Actually, I was also the first one to say I love you, but not exactly in those terms. Around the same time that we took the next step of being boyfriend and girlfriend I was already at the point of "where is this relationship headed?" So, I told him that I was "falling in love with him" and was expecting him to say the same back about me, but instead all I got was a lot of silence.....and more silence...it was very awkward. He finally says that he will never say anything he doesn't mean, but he does think that someday we are going to get married. That's when I knew I was in serious trouble. I was dating a guy that was thinking about marriage before he could even say I love you. That's a bit backwards, isn't it?

For some reason I let it go and knew the words would come sometime...someday. That day did come. Can you believe it? I still remember the date, February 26, 2006. Yep, almost a whole year after we had met and I finally got to hear those words (such a girl, huh?)

Ironically, earlier that same day I had decided that I needed to find new homes for my cats, Milo and Meeko. The main reason being that Milton was really allergic to them and whenever he would come over to my apartment he would have to dope up on allergy meds and then he would get sleepy and end up falling asleep during movies or while we were out on a date. I was just hoping that this relationship was really going to work out because here I was getting rid of two cats (for those who know me I LOVE animals so this was very hard for me to do).

When he told me he loved me I couldn't help but think that it was because I had gotten rid of the cats and fixed him supper all in the same night and he was just happy that he didn't have to dope himself up for once.
In April of 2006 I was yet again ready before Milton for the next step and not quite sure if we were ever going to get there. I loved Milton, but was sure I was going to end up waiting forever before that day would come. In his defense I grew up in Utah where most people date for a few months and then end up married just as quickly. I wasn't really wanting to rush things, but I thought maybe something was wrong with us.
One night I was making Milton dinner and expecting him to be there on time (LOL, that never happened). I waited and waited, the dinner got cold and I got more angry. I decided that I was going to break up with him, that was it! I had a strong impression that I needed to pray about it first and not make the decision alone. I got down on my knees and said that I was going to break up with Milton as soon as he arrived. The moment those words came out of my mouth I got the worst feeling and knew that I would be making a huge mistake. Needless to say I was a bit furious that I couldn't just do it, but the moment I saw his face all anger melted away and I was just glad he was finally there. I never could stay mad at him!
I brought up getting married to Milton and of course he said he wasn't ready yet "maybe next May" he would always say. I decided there was no point in talking or thinking about it anymore and put it far from my thoughts.
Milton and I attended the 24 Hour Fitness regularly and one day in July we were sitting in the steam room. Milton out of the blue asks "do you want to get married?" I inhaled deeply and immediately started choking on the hot steam. "What? Are you being serious? When?" I asked. "Tomorrow." He replies. That's how Milton works. He will not commit to something until it's his idea or that he's ready and the moment that happens he wants it NOW. That is one of the things that I do love and admire about Milton. He will find a way to get whatever he has decided upon.
We knew that aloping wasn't really what we wanted and that Milton needed to ask my father for permission so we decided that the first week in September, which happened Labor Day weekend would be the best time to take a trip to Utah.
That was probably the longest 6 weeks of my life. Just waiting for the next step and knowing that it was just right around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment