Monday, November 16, 2009

The Boys!

I dreamed of having a Great Dane for several years. I told Milton when we got married that I wanted a Great Dane and his response was "Why would you want such a big dog? I'm not going to pick up after it. I'm not going to love it...etc, etc." Instead he thought we should get a Yorkie-Poo like his sister's dog Toby.
Well, I consented and said that we would start off with the Yorkie-Poo but I would still have my Dane at some point in the near future.
I was just about to put a deposit on a litter of Yorkie-poos when Milton started doing some research and found out that Danes are really good dogs. We decided that we wanted to go check out the Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue and went to one of their events and that's where Milton met his first 180 pound Dane named Mason. That was it! He was in love and so was I.
In April of 2007 we adopted Kusko who had come from Missouri. I literally cried when they called to say that he was ready to come home and could hardly wait for his arrival.
He wasn't in the best state when he arrived. His hind legs were so weak that he could hardly get up and down our stairs. After some training and establishing who was the boss Kusko was the perfect first Dane.



This was the first night with Kusko. He wasn't allowed on the furniture from that point forward.















Well, we didn't last long with just one Dane. We were totally hooked and couldn't get enough. So, we adopted Bahlu that following April.












Now, Bahlu needed some serious help! He didn't even know his own name and was so malnourished that you could see every rib and bone in his body. He arrived weighing 140 pounds and quickly put on 40 more pounds.
































Kusko and Bahlu couldn't be more of opposites.
Kusko is a talker, the dominant one, confident, at times a bit anxious and a definate goofball.
Bahlu is more quiet, shy, cuddly (very cuddly), attentive to children, drooly and a complete love. Both combined truly make the perfect dog.







When Milton was working late I had a hard time falling asleep so I would let them up on the bed with me until he got home. Unfortunately, I got caught this time.










The Dane-Deer













Kusko's mere 130 pounds is dwarfed by Bahlu. However, we all know who's the boss and Kusko can still whoop his butt.

















They very quickly became part of our everyday lives. We volunteered frequently for the Rescue doing homechecks, transfers and events. We also became part of the Great Dane meetup club and went to dog parks at least once a week for the boys to play.














The boys are definately a permanent part of our family. I don't think that there will ever be a time that we don't have a Great Dane in our home.










1 comment:

  1. You guys have been so good with those dogs. You take great care of them. Those are some great pictures.

    ReplyDelete