Friday, February 18, 2011

Happy 4th Adoption Day, Kusko!


Today marks 4 years since we adopted Kusko from the Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue. Many may not know that I dreamed of having a Great Dane for several years before I even met Milton. When I told him that I was going to have a Great Dane someday he thought I was crazy. He couldn't understand why I would want such a big dog. A month after we got married I started looking and Milton was convinced that he still wanted nothing to do with a Great Dane. Well, after realizing that I wasn't going to give up he started doing his own research about the breed and became interested. We then went to an event that the rescue was doing at a local dog show and Milton had his first Dane experience. He was hooked. A month after that we had the home check, paperwork all filled out and was ready to adopt our first dane. Luckily, the people at the rescue knew what they were doing and fit us with our perfect match, Bruno (aka Kusko).
The day they called to say he was ready to come home I cried and couldn't wait for him to arrive. Once he did though, the realization of how big they really are hit and we were all in for a bit of an adjustment.
However, it all went great and we have loved this guy since! The pic above was taken today. He really doesn't look bad for the condition his body is in and that he is 7 years old (which is pretty old for an extra large breed).
This pic was taken the night of his adoption after they had left. We let him on the couch for the first few days, but realized that we would no longer have one if it continued (he doesn't share).
Our adoption pic
I wish Costco still sold these beds! They were huge and very fluffy.

Kusko in his better days. He really had some moves for a big clumsy dog.


Kusko has always been the top dog.


Dane Deer


Hope we get to celebrate another anniversary with you Kusko...we know our days left are short, but are glad you've been a part of the family.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I wanted to let you know that we went private and I do not have your email address, so if you could email me that would be great: meganluvsvolleyball@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete